Friday, July 1, 2011

Munich

Last week I went to Munich, in the Bavarian region of Germany. The first night had a nice German welcoming with the best local German beer. I also had the chance to see the city on a bike. They really like their cafe shops and spend time outside chatting over a glass of cold and nice beer.

I also walked around the Plazas, visited the English Garden, the Olympic Park, the beer gardens, had over a litter of beer in the afternoon, and took rides on Mercedes Benz taxi cabs! Clubs are great here, too. Apparently I also missed on some of the most traditional beer-food Bavarian's must. Guess I'm gonna have to go back. More good reasons!




First day's lesson: do not walk on the bike lane, or get run down! It took me a while to get used to that. I liked it, though, cause when you bike you know you have your own space. Then I went to the parks for some safety. The parks are beautiful, particularly the Englischer Garten for its design. Walking around the park feels like the paths lead to hidden places - the beer garden by the Chinesischer Turm (Chinese tower), the Japanisches Teehaus, and the surfing area.






I liked the architecture of the churches and other old buildings. The Theatine Church of St. Cajetan (Theatinerkirche) is one of the most interesting ones I saw. The all white stucco decorations and figures, the black pulpit and the paintings, simply mesmerizing.




The architecture of the New Town Hall in Marienplatz is also very interesting. There are stone figures all around the building, and in the front there is the Rathaus-Glockenspiel with a collection of wooden figures that dance in representation of a royal marriage.




The Olympiapark is one of the best places to visit after the English Garden. This is where the Summer Olympics of 1972 where held. The facilities are still in use for recreational events and tours. Many people like to seat around the lake to feed the ducks and take a sun tan. Next to the park there is the BMW Welt, and if you buy a car there, you might be invited to see how it is built (one more reason to save!)

Then there is the Olympic tower, from where the scenic view of Bavaria can be seen across the horizon. Really nice and flat! At the distance it is also possible to see the Alps. I got to see the silhouette of the mountain chain, and on a much clearer day the mountains are even more visible.




Munich was the first city I visited in Germany. Last year I was at the Frankfurt airport for three hours, but apparently that doesn't count. I liked it, and it is a good place for lots of recreational and cultural activities, and of course, high quality Bavarian beer! Really had a great time thanks to Fabio and the Munich crew. Dankersen!


Photo album

No comments:

Post a Comment