Sunday, March 27, 2011

Granada (a preview)

Well, Granada is a really nice place to be at. I have been working and traveling around for three weeks now, and next week I leave to Leon.



My job as a bartender has been part of this experience. Being behind the bar is one of the best job experiences in my life. I have met lots of people from so many countries. Every night, after closing the bar the hang out spot is Conchis (formerly Cafe Nuit). The other place is Chico Tripa, near the lake. The first one is where most foreigners hang out and the second one is more local.

The tutoring work has been going well also. The kids are learning how to use "To Have" and the demonstrative pronouns "this" and "that", plus some expresions. It has not been easy for me to teach children, but I am learning, and they have been learning too.

Each week has been different, meeting people that come and go, going to other towns near Granada, and doing different activities. This coming week I will be involved in two important projects. I am organizing an event at the Bearded Monkey with two important people. One of them was in the two civil wars in the 70s and 80s here in Nicaragua, and the other one met Che Guevara when he was in Guatemala (Rodolfo Romero Gomez). They will talk about their experiences and put them in today´s context in front of a group of young adults and teenagers from Granada. I will also be helping to set up part of the financial structure for a new school for children who leave near La Joya, the rubbish dump in Granada.

I still have to post my pictures and comments from my experience here in Granada before I leave next Friday. Today, I am in Ometepe Island, where I went Canoyning for real, with no equipment and close to breaking my bones.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment