Thursday, June 16, 2011

Czech Republic

On the other side of the pond

I actually got this first line from when I was in Costa Rica before I heard it in English when I moved to New York. Little that I knew, I would develop an interest for coming to Central and Eastern Europe, mostly because of all the friends I made in my college years while earning my associates degree in International Business. So, here I am in Česká republika and liking it.


Charles Bridge and Prague Castle


The city is very interesting, old streets, castles, history, culture... very stimulating. All the buildings are interesting and beautiful. In some ways it reminds me to Istanbul and Rome, not that it is a mix, but the concept and importance of the art and culture.


Astronomical Clock


I feel good here. I have made some good friends, we visit pubs and beer gardens, play football (soccer), and took one of those trains from the movies taking place in a Central/Eastern European countries to visit a town closer to the border with Slovakia - Kroměříž. I have also tasted pickled cheese and found out mold is not so bad after all - good mold of course.

Culturally speaking, it seems the Czechs are a homogeneous society, although there are some foreigners living here. The language is extremely difficult, at least from a Western language perspective. I try to read everything on the street, and seems to be I am doing well with the accent - so far, so good.

I still have some more walking to do, take pictures and understand more about the history and culture here. There are lots of books that already do this, but perhaps I can try to give a different account from a personal perspective. Besides, seems I will be sticking around for a long time.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment