Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Six months "horseshoeing"

. . .

The traveler changes his path
even if this proves to be harmfull
and just as everything changes
the fact that I change it's not in the least strange





The starting line

Sometimes we plan things and expect them to go as we had imagined, but often that does not happen. I had planned to just visit Costa Rica and Nicaragua, then take off to South East Asia and Central Europe. Over time I changed my plans, and then realized it was not gonna be how I said. Instead, I went with the flow and ended up enjoying it more.

The road I first had chosen led me to other roads that I had not had considered, or at least didn't take them seriously from the beginning. When I was in Spain over a year ago, I came to the conclusion that in order to find oneself it is a good idea to often lose oneself. This proved to be effective and I ended up traveling across Central America. The trip came out much more interesting and motivating than my original plan.

It is not just about being on the road, it is about enjoying the trip until it is time to go home.




This trip has changed me, because I am not the same one from when I left and I am good with that. I still think of the day I hit the road and why, and the hours in front of that door before taking off. The initial motivations of my actions are not always going to be there at the end of the events, but I think that is also right. I guess I am always changing, like all of us, just didn't consider it as much as I do now.




Along the way

I visited seven countries in six months and experienced different cultures, realities, nature, and ways of life. I saw breathtaking valleys, forests, waterfalls, canyons, volcanoes, lakes, wild life, ancient cities. I visited indigenous villages and culturally diversed towns and cities, and talked to people about their lives and experiences. I learned a little more about the local music, dances, foods, and religious believes. There are lots of cultural things going on all around, and I like to be exposed to them.

I also met really good friends, both locals and travelers from around the world. Many of my friends and family back home were there with me as well. To all of you, thank you for the words of support and motivation, for your questions and comments, for the interesting conversations and the crazy ideas, for the dances and songs, for the unexpected adventures and your different views of life, for being there all the time.




I got into hiking and better at swimming. I hitch hiked, survived crazy bus rides, worked as a bartender, taught Spanish and Salsa, learned the basics of working with jewlery, Guatemalan weaving and Costa Rican handicraft making, and lately began to create my own post cards. I learned about the hardships of wars in Central America by talking to people who lost their entire families, and met three men who were involved in the Cuban, Guatemalan, and Nicaraguan revolutions.




I had the opportunity to teach ESL to school children and led a youth conversation event in Granada. I got to see extreme poverty and experienced different approaches to social issues. Early in my trip I became part of an international organization to bring donations to children living on rubbish dumps in Nicaragua. There is a lot of need out there, and thankfully there are so many who care and want to help to improve people's lives. I am honored to have met and shared with volunteers and travelers who care for others who are less fortunate.




Beyond my initial expectations, this was a trip of little trips, and it felt I did more than I had ever imagined I would do. At first there was a concrete plan of "what and when", and then I learned to go with the flow, and enjoyed more this way. I traveled alone, but was never lonely. Met lots of interesting people and made friends from all over the world.

I always wanted to do something like this, let go of the daily worries and jump over the fance. I was fortunate to have had the right circumstances and opportunities, and appreciate all I have seen and done ever since.




We shall not cease from exploration,
and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started,
and know the place for the first time.


Looking back

There are many experiences that I lived often in every country. I met locals and other travelers from around the world who made my trip even better. Talking to people about their opinions on several topics is an effective learning experience. Also, in my travels I had come to trully believe that people are good and want to be helpful to one another, despite some instances of greed, selfishness and intolerance.




Another one is the chicken buses. Except from Belize and Costa Rica, they are always ridiculously crowed, and when you think there is no room for one more person, five more come in. In serveral stops, sellers come into the bus all at once offering coconut water, homemade bread, illigal copies of the latest films, and miraculous pills that they claim practically cure every illness. Some drivers take their job to the next level and think of themselves as formula one racers while turning on sharp cuves up in the mountains. It is quite an experience to be in a chicken bus, and I loved it every bit.

People often ask me what I liked the most about my trip, and I am always confused about the answer. In all honesty I liked it all, but that is way too obvious and doesn't create enough room for discussion.
I had very diversed experiences, and because of that I cannot just say what I liked the most without first going over each of them.




In every country I had totally different experiences. In Guatemala, for example, what I liked the most was the fact that there is a large indigenous population, they conserve many of their traditions, and struggle to keep their culture alive. Also, the natural settings are beautiful, and seeing the ancient city of Tikal was a dream come true.




In Nicaragua I had a great time bartending and meeting so many people from around the world while opening a bottle of beer or preparing a Macua or Mojito. I also enjoyed teaching ESL to school children, and riding my bike on the streets of colonial Granada to go to work, and my experience helping people at the garbash dumps was a life lesson.




Costa Rica, well, it is my own country. Before I left over 10 years ago I knew very few places, but this time around I did every effort to see towns, natural settings and attend festivities I had always heard of, but never went to experience. I love the rural areas and the cultural aspects of the small towns and farmland areas. I enter into another state of mind with the small of fresh brewed coffee, wet dirt after the rain, and the feeling of a cool breeze in a hot and sunny day anywhere in the country. Our traditions and way of life are reason enough for Ticos to suffer from "Mal de Patria" - homeland sickness, and not stay overseas for too long. Few of us, like myself, for whatever reason decided to break the rule and do something different.




I had short visits in Panama, Belize, and Honduras, but got to see lots of good things.

The skyline in Panama City is like no other in Central America. In fact, it looks like the one in Miami, and to some extend in New York. The canal was something very impresive to see, and I also learned that in Panama there is a mixture of culture as a result of the construction of the canal that attracted migrant workers from all around the world. Casco Viejo is very nice and some say it is the Old Havana of Panama, while Bocas del Toro is very good to see wild life and to party. Salsa is good here, and baseball is more popular than soccer, although it is catching up.




In Belize I learned about the Garifuna culture, and made very good friends. I enjoyed the drumming and traditional Punta dance. The food is also quite good, typical of Caribbean cousine. Playing dominos from late in the afternoon at the local bar is a serious affair, and a good excuse for a few beers.There, I also met a group of volunteers with the Peace Corps. I learned from them what the organization does, difficulties they go through on the field, and how pationate many of these volunteers are to help others.




In Honduras I had the opportunity to see one of the Lenca indigenous regions, which is pretty much the last one left in the country. They are no related to the Mayans, but were trading partners and shared some cultural aspects and history during the conquest. The town of Gracias is very colonial and is close to other small towns in between the mountains that have a rich indigenous tradition. I met a few people here who had a lot of questions about Costa Rica and Guatemala. I think they will go one day, and that is awesome.




El Salvador, as I had commented in my last posting was a family time. My cousins are my brothers, just like my mom considers her cousins her brothers. I often wonder what it would have been like if I had been raised here. No real answer can be good because I will never really know, but one thing I am sure of is that it would have been even more fun.


Stay tuned for the next place!

No comments:

Post a Comment